Thursday 27 November 2014

Who is Nathan Holmes? How I ended up in Lanzarote

  We all know the best place to start is at the beginning. As my first blog post here is my attempt at explaining how I became a chef and how I ended up trying to make my culinary and triathlon mark on the island of Lanzarote...  

Becoming a chef
  Since I was a young lad I was inspired to become a chef after spending 3 years working in a traditional greengrocers in the town of Canterbury. It was here where I first learnt about the quality and consistency of ingredients. I was surrounded by a variety of products from Asian cuisine to the more traditional English fruit and veg. This sparked an interest in me and I was curious to explore just what you can do with these ingredients.   

 At the age of 14 I decided to pursue this curiosity in food and began working in the kitchen washing dishes. I thrived off the excitement of working in a kitchen. I started to watch the chefs working and helped wherever I could, whether that be simple vegetable preparation to putting a classic banana split together. The thrill of being in a kitchen was enthralling and I loved the hard work involved. This experience showed me that cheffing is a labour of love and passion. From that moment on I never looked back.
 
  I picked up more of my basic skills and craftsmanship from one of my early jobs in a beautiful Georgian pub called 'The Chapter Arms' where I spent 2 years listening and learning. At the age of 20 I was then taken to my first trip to Lanzarote where I joined up with my brother and Paul Campbell at restaurant 'Casa Teygoyo'. This is the oldest building on the island, etched in history and built in the beautiful hills of Conil. My passion excelled here - the fresh ingredients that were available was truly amazing and it was also here I learned to forage flowers and fruit which I experimented with. 


The man who helped me learn - Paul Campbell and I recently in his current restaurant Barstro in Nazaret
  After that I went on a sharp learning curve and took on my own kitchen in La Santa village where spent a year learning about my own style whilst always being aware I needed to learn a lot more. After 2 and a half years in Lanzarote I went back to the UK to start on my quest for culinary knowledge. Whilst there I had the privilege to work alongside a list of Michelin stared chefs which gave me the chance to train my ability and home my skills.
 

All time low
  So the big question on everyone's lips is why did I take myself out of the big smoke where chefs are always in the limelight and in high demand and relocate to Lanzarote where the food is very simple and some would say backward?
 Well it's a combination of a couple of things but the biggest one was my marriage breakdown. I'd like to say I saw it coming but in fact I was so caught up in the progression of my own career I did not. As you can imagine it knocked me off my feet. I felt as if my whole world had ended. I can't really say much more than that and in fact I didn't really have the time or want to take it all in myself as I just started the most exciting job of my career which was a concept called 'Stripped Back' with John Salt in London. However even given the excitement of this, the hours and emotional strain eventually took it's toll on my health and positive outlook on life.
 
 It all came to head on the 24th December 2012 after moving back in with my dad at the age of 29. I felt like I hit an all time low. I needed a way to get out. Luckily I still had friends on the island of Lanzarote (where I mentioned I had worked before and learnt my trade). I made a couple of phone calls and sent a few messages and waited...
 On Christmas Day 2012 I was sat alone watching a movie severely undernourished with a bucket of KFC. This is a true reflection of an all time low. However I received the best Christmas present that year...I was offered a job in Lanzarote! In that very moment I booked a one way ticket for the 3rd January 2013. It was going to be my fresh start and my much needed new beginning. With hindsight I now know how much I actually needed that change to happen in my life...
 
  On the 3rd January I packed what I could carry and got on the plane. The job that bought me back (maybe even say saved me) was with someone who gave me the opportunity to run her kitchen when I was still a young lad and only just finding my way with food 9 years before. However, this time round things had changed on the island and I was playing second fiddle. Another blessing was that, Debbie Jones (the owner) was a great triathlete, some would say one of the originals. She therefore had quite a following and support from the Tri community in Lanzarote. This gave me the kick in the arse I needed to get back in shape. So, I started running again.
  On the food side of things, us chefs get itchy feet and feel like we should be running the show, I'll admit it's an egotistical thing. It didn't take long for people to notice the change in quality. The main fan I got was Lee Holdaway, who resides part of the year in Lanzarote and owns TLSPORT in the UK. He was to then have a huge influence on my life. He made me understand the importance of work and life balance and how to get a good quality of life when you don't put all the emphasis on work. These two people made me realise that you can have two passions; triathlon and cooking are now equal passions of mine. This blog will show the struggle and success in both fields.
 

The Now
 Fast forward to the present. I have moved from my original position with Debbie but still owe her for giving me a second shot at cheffing in Lanzarote and in life. I have slowly made my mark on the island and after nearly 2 years of being here I have a solid direction in the food I am producing. I am currently working in a creative role with Benn and Zoe, the owners of La Cantina in Teguise and Tabla in Arrecife.
A sample of La Cantina's food - Deli Platter
The two restaurants are great and also very different so I am still being challenged and learning. La Cantina boasts traditional Canarian produce and Tabla is in theme with the street food movement and offers quality burgers. As well as creating new menus and an identity for both I am also working on a new style of dining in Lanzarote. I am creating themed tasting evenings every 3 weeks at La Cantina's 'Secret Garden' which we have suitably named 'The Supper Club'. This is in it's fourth event now and includes a 10 course themed menu with an exclusive atmosphere (I will talk more about these in my upcoming blogs as as much stress as they bring me it is what I love to do). This allows me to indulge my ego and has enabled me to push my style, creativity and learning of new foods as well as still get the buzz of working in a top restaurant in London. Slowly I am building a platform and clientele that could eventually lead me on to a new venture on the island which I hope will combine food and triathlon. Right now however, I have the perfect mix.


Me in action at a Tasting night

One of the dishes from my first tasting night; Wild Rabbit Terrine
A selection of my Italian themed Tasting Menu; Secret Salad, Tri Colour Gnocchi, Venetian White Wine Sardines, Truffle Mushroom Gorgonzola Risotto
 In my spare time triathlon is my passion. I get my life balance by training when I am not working hard in the kitchen. That fix, that release, that is what is required when working in such an environment raises the blood pressure and stress levels. I am fortunate to be able to jump on my bike and ride some of the most sought after cycle routes. I am able to swim in some of the worlds best facilities or swim in the sea with the sun beating down. I can even just go running around the ever changing picturesque landscape of Lanzarote. I need that release, yet I never knew it before. I would let the pressures of every day life build up. Now I realise that the simple things in life really are for free and they also are some of the best things.
 

Cycling with friends in the sunshine
One of the best facilities in the world to swim - perfection

Post evening swim with friends
Me in my Trisuit outside the much loved ProBike
 My journey in Lanzarote is really only just beginning. I have an exciting role within food and amazing people supporting me on my goals. I have one of the worlds best training grounds for triathlon on my doorstep. Considering I am doing Ironman Lanzarote next May I need this and will use being on the course to my advantage. In my personal life, I have some great friends out here who have welcomed and support me in Lanzarote and in many ways become my Lanza family. Life is finally looking good and there is light at the end of the tunnel, to quote "Star's can't shine without darkness". I feel like now I am on the path I was destined to be on and that is an exciting revelation in itself. I cannot wait to see where it takes me. Lanzarote, and the world, is my oyster. Yes, I really did need this change, much more than I ever knew!


No comments:

Post a Comment